Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Role of Fascia in Cerebral Palsy...you can't miss this!


I have recently returned from Chile where I was working with another amazing group of children (and their families). It never ceases to amaze me how fortunate I am to be allowed the privilege to enter into their world and contribute to their child's progress. Each and every evaluation provides me with greater insight into the wonders of the human body...and for that I am eternally grateful. For those who have been curious enough to continue reading this blog, you are by now fully aware of my fascination for fascia and all that it implies. Although words (lots and lots of them)effectively convey this message, it is (more often than not) the actual pictures that demonstrate the full power and implication of this wonderful, and highly underrated, structure. I have performed many evaluations with children with disorders of movement and posture over the years...and there is a common thread that binds almost all of their families together: "Gavin, I just want a better life for my child. I want him/her to be happy and healthy and ultimately give them the absolute most that can be given to help them". Something as simple as being able to sit independantly can seem trivial to us, but can mean the world for these special children and special families. Therefore, I put it to anyone who questions the implications that fascia has on movement and posture...look at this example and formulate an intelligent, articulate, and logical reason not to admit the enormous opportunity and potential for improvement that exists. Although I have a plethora of examples, the one I have posted is the freshest in my mind and is also without possibility of mis-interpretation. One year of specific focus and hard work can bring about life-changing results! I hope it inspires you, fascinates you, and most importantly...stimulates some constructive curiosity!


Fascial Strengthening in Cerebral Palsy

5 comments:

  1. Gavin, such a graphic depiction of the results of your fascial work on these kids shows ho effective your methods are. Great, heartwarming work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡¡Sé exactamente a qué te refieres Gavin!! Yo he visto estos cambios en Martín en cada evaluación y sigo con ABR porque estoy segura que no los lograríamos con ninguna otra terapia física.

    Cosas que otros padres dan por hecho, como que los niños se sienten solos o usen sus manos, para nuestros hijos son todo un desafío. Por eso es tan importante apostarle a procesos como el de ABR.

    Un abrazo y gracias por compartir estas fotos con nosotros. Saludos,
    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of, course, I am one of ABR's biggest fans and daily celebrate the changes in the quality of life it has brought my son. Being a true believe, I applaud your efforts and commitment, Gavin, to spread and implement the word about the role of fascia in rehabilitation. I am honored to be part of the team of supporters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really curious about this. My son has cerebral palsy and is 9 years old, turning 10 in December. I would really like to find out how we can put him in this type of therapy. We are based in South Africa. Is there anyone here that you know that specializes in this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! My apologies for the long delay...I did not get any notifications for this comment. The results illustrated in this post were from work done with ABR (Advanced Biomechanical Rehabilitation). ABR has centers in Canada, Denmark, Belgium, and Singapore...I would direct you to communicate with any of these centers for more information. I do not know of any specific person in South Africa that delivers this therapy as it is very comprehensive and would involve a great deal of training...which to my knowledge is not available yet.

    ReplyDelete